IT’S BEEN PROVEN (AGAIN): GREAT HARVEST WHOLE GRAIN BREAD IS GOOD FOR YOU!
Have you heard the saying, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away?” Well, according to important new research, a new saying may be in order. Based on 25 years’ worth of data collected from over 100,000 people, there’s now one more reason to feel good about your daily bread: it may make you live longer! Simply swap out one daily serving of refined grains for one piece of Honey Whole Wheat (or any 28 gram serving of whole grains) and you can lower your risk of death from cardiovascular disease by 8%, and lower your overall mortality rate, according to new research.
Whole grains’ significant health benefits have been recognized by health care and nutrition professionals around the world, and evidenced in study after study. In “Association Between Dietary Whole Grain Intake and Risk of Mortality,” the authors carefully analyzed decades’ worth of data from two large studies to examine the association between mortality risk and whole grain consumption.
The results were astounding:
- Not only did they find that higher intake of whole grains was significantly associated with lower mortality due to cardiovascular disease, it was also associated with lower mortality across the board.
- From the data, the authors were able to estimate that for every 28 grams of whole grain consumption per day there was an associated 5% reduction in total mortality and a whopping 9% reduction in mortality from cardiovascular disease. That’s just one 2 oz. slice of our Honey Whole Wheat Bread!
How does that compare to the health impact of refined grain consumption? The researchers found that although there was a reduction in total mortality for every 28 grams of refined grains, the amount was small and no association with reduced death from cardiovascular disease was found.
So what does all of this mean to you? Well, quite a bit. By adding just 28 grams of whole grains to your diet every day you can reduce your risk of dying from heart disease and extend the length of your life
What does 28 grams look like at Great Harvest? Here are some ideas:
- 24 grams in one slice of our Dakota Bread
• 22 grams in one slice of our High 5 Fiber Bread
• 25 grams in one slice of our Nine Grain Bread
• 28 grams in just ½ cup of Groovy Granola
• 22 grams in ½ cup of dry Cranberry Almond Oatmeal Mix
• 32 grams in ½ cup of dry Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal Mix
• 22 grams in one of our 3 oz. Berry Oatmeal Muffins
- And of course, you will always find 29 grams of freshly milled whole grain flour in just one slice of our made-from-scratch, fresh out of the oven Honey Whole Wheat Bread.
- Hey, no one ever said healthy eating had to be hard!
Wu H, Flint AJ, Qi Q, et al. Association Between Dietary Whole Grain Intake and Risk of Mortality: Two Large Prospective Studies in US Men and Women. JAMA Intern Med. Published online January 05, 2015. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2014.6283. Accessed online here.